Friday, February 22, 2008

"Sex: Agony and Ecstasy" -Richard Winter

My thanks to Marta Douglass for the following notes from the L'abri conference:

I took a Sexual Health class at Mizzou last year and loved it. It was a very frank discussion on everything related to sex, but mostly came from the angle of "as long as it's safe, it is okay." Of course, the definition of "safe" can be relative. Emotionally? Physically? I wanted to go to Richard Winter's talk because I wanted to see what the Church has to say about sex. I have heard from seminary students about how Richard Winter would talk about how sex gets better and better with your spouse as you get older, and that promiscuous young people don't really know what they're missing. I love that perspective. Here are some bullet points from the lecture. Nothing too surprising, but everything wonderful.
  • The agony of sex is when sex is without God. We are called to weep with those who have been wounded by unhealthy sex and abuse.
  • "Obession with erotic pleasure yields to obsession with moral failure" - I don't really know what this means, but maybe I will soon.
  • If we are evolved beings with no innate spirituality, then it makes sense for us to have sex like animals.
  • The Church has a gnostic suspicion of the body that we shouldn't fall into. Passion is God's gift.
  • Sex should be with the right person in the right place at the right time.
  • Marriage should become the most important out of all covenant relationships: sex declares with my body my reaffirmation of the covenant and I am declaring that covenant with my life the rest of the week.
  • Sexuality is like a river that should have high banks.
  • No other physical act has the same level of communication as sex.
  • We need to talk about the correct view of sexuality within the Covenant community. We are told the wrong view all the time by media and ourselves. We need the truth.
  • Celibacy is practice at resisting instant gratification.
  • Sex in the beginning is like learning to dance, you step all over each other's toes at first
  • Men and women: Vive la DiffĂ©rence! (we're different, differently stimulated, and that's wonderful)
  • Proverbs 6:26 - "For the prostitute reduces you to a loaf of bread, and the adulteress preys upon your very life." We can treat each other like objects when having sex.

No comments: